kpaone92

Kate Says: "Reading Is Fun!"

Amy Falls Down: A Novel
Jincy Willett
The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression
Eric Maisel Phd
Yes Please
Amy Poehler

Top Ten Movies

Reblogged from Kitty Horror:

Thanks Kitty Horror for getting the ball rolling. I just wanted to keep it going by sharing my top ten with you all, in hopes that you'll repost with your favorites on your blog too.

So, here are my picks in all their wonderful glory, but in no particular order.

Top Ten Movies

SLC Punk - The year is 1985. The location is Salt Lake City Utah, a place with a strong Mormon community, and then there is Stevo and his crew of punks who enjoy loud music, rock shows, and basically turning the town on it's head. It's a movie about finding a way to grow up without selling out. Fantastic performances by Matthew Lillard, Michael Goorjian, and Annabeth Gish. Complete with one of the best soundtracks ever, in my opinion. Even though the story is fictional, it is totally relatable.

Tank Girl - This movie is loosely based on the British cult comic strip created by Jamie Hewlett and Alan Martin. The year is 2033 and our anti-heroin played by Lori Petty rides a tank, wears lip gloss, and kicks ass against a mega-corporation who controls the whole world's water supply. Of course she couldn't do it all herself, that's why she enlists the help of the Rippers (an army of half men/kangaroos) and a good friend, played by Naomi Watts, to help her bring the system down in some really awesome ways. This one too has a fantastic soundtrack.

Go! - tells the story of the events after a drug deal, told from three different points of view - Ronna (played by Sarah Polley), Simon,and Adam/Zack. This movie is very funny, outrageous and action packed, and also sports a pulsating soundtrack.

Army of Darkness - Bruce Campbell, enough said.

The Big Lewbowski - My favorite Coen brothers' production. It's a smart, irreverent comedy with fantastic performances by Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, and Julianne Moore. Dude, if you haven't seen this one, you absolutely must! Best bizarre dream sequence ever.

Cruel Intentions - A sexy, but twisted psychological thriller. Excellent performances by Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ryan Phillippe, and Reese Witherspoon.

Frailty - "We're not killing people, we're destroying demons." A horror movie that is extremely well written and will keep you on the edge of your seat to the very end. Years after terrorizing a small Texas community, the God's Hand Killer has returned - leaving in his wake a perplexing trail of fear and death. Convinced that he knows the killer's identity, Fenton Meiks shows up at FBI headquarters, intent on putting and end to the murderous rampage and relieving his conscience of his family's sinister secrets.

Dogma - Kevin Smith is an amazing writer/director, but this one is hands down my favorite, as it is mercilessly funny and wildly irreverent. George Carlin as a cardinal?  Yes indeed!

Amelie - One of the best original screenplays ever written. It's a magical comedy about a painfully shy waitress working at a tiny Paris cafe. One day she makes a surprising discovery that changes her life for the better! From then on Amelie dedicates herself to helping others find happiness...in delightfully unexpected ways. However, the question remains, will she have to courage to find her own happiness? Audrey Tautou plays Amelie and it is one of her best performances, in my opinion.

Last, but not least....

Pieces of April - April Burns (played by Katie Holmes) is the quirky black sheep of her family, who has offered to host an elaborate Thanksgiving dinner for her clan, in her Lower East Side apartment. However, her attempts to create an unforgettable feast go awry when she discovers her oven doesn't work. Now, as her family is in route to her place, April must rely on the kindness of strangers to pull off the perfect meal and the perfect memory, but will she succeed? Witty and funny with extremely original and genuine characters that have heart.

So there you have it, my top ten. I'm looking forward to seeing what's on your list.