kpaone92

Kate Says: "Reading Is Fun!"

Amy Falls Down: A Novel
Jincy Willett
The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression
Eric Maisel Phd
Yes Please
Amy Poehler

IQ84: I am FINALLY Done, whoot!

1Q84 - Haruki Murakami

Now that I am finally done reading this mammoth epic book, I can breathe a big sigh of relief that I made it through. For a bit I wasn't so sure I was going to make it, but I kept putting in my hour a day, hoping for the best, and finally I'm here at the end. Whoot!

Let me begin the review this way: I really enjoy Haruki Murakami's writing style. I have several of his books in my permanent collection, here in my humble abode. He is an important author to read, and I thank my World Literature professor for making us read Norwegian Wood in that class, as to this day, it is still one of my favorites.

With that said, IQ84 to me read like a snake eating its tail while flinging itself around on the tilt-a-whirl. It made me a bit dizzy and nausious in certain parts. With that said, I really liked the beginning and the end the best, as Murakami masterfully sets up and ends the story brilliantly, tying up loose ends and making the story feel as complete as possible. So, my only real complaint is with the middle. That part could of been edited down much more than it was, as this was the part that took me the longest time to read, and made me the dizziest, since the story just kept looping back upon itself. I didn't need 400 pages of that thank you very much, as I got the point in about 200 pages, and the rest I just kind of skimmed through, until I got closer to the end, in which things I was more interested in started to come through to interesting and unexpected conclusions.

All in all, not my favorite Murakami, but I am really proud with myself that I gave it a fair chance and stuck with it to the very end. I only hope the next big book I pick up will be better.