kpaone92

Kate Says: "Reading Is Fun!"

Amy Falls Down: A Novel
Jincy Willett
The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression
Eric Maisel Phd
Yes Please
Amy Poehler

The Goldfinch: First Book of My Big Book Challenge 2014 (UPDATE 1 of 5)

The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt

Since The Goldfinch is split into five sections, I've decided to review the book in five updates as well.

I just finished the first section of the book, and I must admit that it's off to a glorious start. The plot line is gripping and the wonderfully written descriptions have really pulled me into the story itself, making me feel as if I'm part of the action and mystery, as the story unfolds. I can't wait to see what happens to Theo Decker, the narrator, as he certainly has a way with words.

The plot so far (pages 1 - 207):Theo Decker, a thirteen-year-old New Yorker, miraculously survives the same incident

bombing

(show spoiler)

at the art museum, that kills his mother. He is abandoned by his father and is taken in by the family of a wealthy friend from school. Bewildered by his strange new home on Park Ave, disturbed by classmates who don't know how to talk to him, and tormented above all by his longing for his mother, he clings to the one thing that reminds him of her: a small, mysteriously captivating painting

The Goldfinch by Carel Fabritius, a Dutch painter and one of Rembrandt's most gifted pupils

(show spoiler)

that ultimately draws Theo into a part of society he never would of imagined being a part of before.

Even Hobie (one of Theo's mysterious new friends) acknowledges this change in him, by saying:

"Well, a change of scenery may be good for you, even if the scene isn't what you'd choose."