kpaone92

Kate Says: "Reading Is Fun!"

Amy Falls Down: A Novel
Jincy Willett
The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression
Eric Maisel Phd
Yes Please
Amy Poehler
Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience - Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Flow is a state of concentration so focused that it amounts to absolute absorbtion in an activity.

The quote above, is in essence, what this book is about. Everyone experiences flow from time to time and will recognize it's characteristics: feeling strong, alert, in effortless control, unselfconscious, and at a peak of their abilities. This book reveals how this pleasurable state can, in fact be controlled, and not left to chance, by setting ourselves challenges - tasks that are neither too difficult nor too simple for our abilities. With such goals, we learn to order the information that enters conciousness and thereby improve the quality of our lives.

Sounds too good to be true, right? I thought so too, so before my accident I had started to catalogue the things I enjoyed doing that matched the definition of flow. These activities for me are: making art (any kind and includes coloring), writing, reading, cross-fit, cooking, sky-diving. Then after my accident, I started doing some of the execises to improve myself and found the effects profound. I re-read the section entitled, Cheating Chaos, and found that like a lot of other people interviewed for this book, that after a life changing event, they too felt like it had a more positive and beneficial effect than a negative one. I'm hoping to continue to challenge myself with these exercises, in order to harness the flow in every day activities, to make even the most borning and mundane activity, more beneficial for myself.