Like most of you I'm an avid reader. I'm hoping to re-connect with old friends, make new friends, and of course spread the love of reading and writing around to everyone!
In 2013, I made the executive life decision to leave the corporate world, in order to pursue my artistic goals. I had outgrown my position and there was no where else for me to move up within the company, so I gave my three months notice. Since I was the only person in my position, I wanted to make sure that I gave the higher ups enough time to hire someone new and get them trained. I felt like I left on a good note.
I knew that following my artistic passions was going to be a hard and rocky road. However, with the help of this book, I feel like I have been given a tool box that has helped me to cultivate my abilities, in order to use my whole self, best skills, and have what this book refers to as 'emotional employment'.
I really enjoyed reading this book and doing the writing exercises. My favorite, and most valuable writing exercise was, writing my career narrative. This gave me the power to transform, re-organize my relationship to the information, and allowed me to accept my past a bit better. I realized that every step I have taken so far has given me the skills needed to be able to succeed on my own.
Other take-aways from this book that I learned were:
* My real passion wasn't what I was doing for a job.
* Fear sometimes holds me back, but I can't let it.
* Some of my dreams are more conscious than others.
* The difference between leading and managing is important. I like to lead, but really hate managing others.
* Making a commitment to finding myself, as well as work that expresses myself is a powerful decision, with tremendous potential, but great care must be taken to re-learn new messages about my self worth, in order to grow authentically.
I have also taken the time to cultivate my intuitive guidance system; by turning up the volume on that little voice, as well as, have a care system in place for all my negative inner critics that keep popping up.
I feel like I have just started my journey and am excited to see where it will go in 2014. I wouldn't of been able to feel confident in this journey without the help of this book, and all of the podcasts that I have listened to this past year. I also feel like my accident at the end of this year was important, as it gave me the space to re-start everything, and get all my ducks lined up for further success next year.