kpaone92

Kate Says: "Reading Is Fun!"

Amy Falls Down: A Novel
Jincy Willett
The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression
Eric Maisel Phd
Yes Please
Amy Poehler

Off-Topic: The Story of an Internet Revolt

OFF-TOPIC: The Story of an Internet Revolt by G.R. Reader - G.R. Reader This book was excellently researched and well written, but at the same time it made me extremely sad. I have been an active member since 2009 and have met a lot of awesome people - readers, authors, bloggers, publishers - some that I have met in person (which have turned into good personal friends in real life), and others that I have not met yet, but we all share one thing in common - our LOVE of reading.

Reading is such a subjective thing, which is exactly why it's so wonderful. Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it for better or worse. I don't think anyone's reviews should be censored or removed because it's considered "off-topic", or talks about an author in a negative way. Neither should someone have the administrative power to delete shelves, since the naming of this convention is a very personal matter.

Quite frankly, here in the United States, it's a violation of our first amendment rights. We have freedom of speech, and we should not take this liberty lightly. I'm glad to see that so many people have written in on this topic and together I believe we can make a difference by standing strong and making our collective voice heard.

It's certainly a 'Brave New World' out here on the interwebz and I'm not so sure I like or agree with it (which is why I'm not as active of a librarian as I once was), but I'm certainly glad for the chance to connect with others, share opinions (especially conflicting ones), and grow as a reader, thinker, and writer. I wouldn't of had the courage to get on the writing path, like I have recently without your support and encouragement, and for that I thank you all with tears in my eyes.

I am a little late to all of this, and it's amazing to me to see how in a blink of an eye everything has changed. In my real life I was hit by a car while walking, and it's been a long and slow recovery process. My lifeline has been reading my GR friends updates, reading good books in general, and writing in reflection on all that has happened.

I don't do a lot of social networking, and the stuff I do choose to put out there is chosen very carefully. I chose GR because it was a great way to keep track of my never ending to read list, discover new content that I probably would of never found otherwise, and to exercise my writing muscles. I don't want to leave GR because I still have some cool peeps to follow, but that number is getting smaller and smaller everyday, which makes me very sad and angry. However, if I do eventually decide to leave, I now know how to transfer my reviews into a document that I can take elsewhere, but I really hope It won't get to that point. I hope GR gets their collective heads out of their a$$e$ and realizes that losing good people is more detrimental to their business model then making a profit.

I won't hold my breath because I might turn blue in the process, but I thank you all for being your awesome selves, and letting me get up on my soapbox for a minute to share my thoughts on this subject. I'm done now. Please resume with your daily activities.