kpaone92

Kate Says: "Reading Is Fun!"

Amy Falls Down: A Novel
Jincy Willett
The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression
Eric Maisel Phd
Yes Please
Amy Poehler

The Great Perhaps: A Novel

The Great Perhaps - Joe Meno Let me preface this review by saying I'm a huge fan of Joe Meno and I think it's admirable that one author can write so many different kinds of books, but this one just wasn't the cheese or the bees knees for me.

Of course there were parts of the story that I enjoyed immensely and they primarily reside in the characterizations of Thisbe, Amilea and Henry (Thisbe and Amilea's Grandfather). I also enjoyed the story line of a family in crisis and how it affected everyone in his or her own way. Those were most certainly the strong parts of the story.

However, the whole cloud thing just didn't work for me. I understand the concept of magical realism and metaphors but honestly this was one time it just didn't work for me in a book. Also, when Meno derails the main story by traveling back in time and relating important historical accounts of ancient relatives, seemed a bit like filler to me, and I didn't quite see how it all fit in with the rest of the story at all.

With that said, I'm glad I read the story and I can't wait to see what Joe Meno will come up with next, however, I just wish I had liked the whole book more than I did.