kpaone92

Kate Says: "Reading Is Fun!"

Amy Falls Down: A Novel
Jincy Willett
The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression
Eric Maisel Phd
Yes Please
Amy Poehler

Girls to the Front: The True Story of the Riot Grrrl Revolution

Girls to the Front: The True Story of the Riot Grrrl Revolution - Sara Marcus "Every Girl is a Riot Grrrl."

Was the message of this book that I could relate to. I graduated from high school in 1999 in a very small town in upstate New York. My cousin Jeff, who was 3 years older than me, introduced me to hardcore punk rock and skating music, and I gobbled it up. I loved the energy of the mosh pit, the political rants, plus, I could throw elbows and slam dance with the best of them. However, after one particularly rough show, I ended up with some broken toes and that's when I invested in a pair of steel toed Doc Martins and I never had a broken toe again.

My only question was where were the punk princesses? Then one of my old baby sitters sent me a mixed tape entitled "Girl Bands That Rock" with a sticky note on it that said I think you'll really like this one and featured songs by: 'Bratmobile', 'Calamity Jane', 'L7', 'The Eyeliners', 'Go Betty Go', 'The Distillers' and of course 'Bikini Kill' and felt for the first time like: 'oh wow, that's so cool that there are girls out there already doing this, and oh yeah maybe I can do this too.'

I was inspired by the DIY style and started writing personal'zines and even had a garage band. My friends and I were making our own 'Grrrl style revolutions' and we didn't even realize that it had a name. Not until I moved out of there and went to college near Pittsburgh was the first time I heard the term 'Riot Grrrl' and thought 'oh so that's what it's called, ok, whatever. I've been doing it for years.'

These are my personal memories that were conjured from reading this book. I like feminism, I like the DIY style, I love the music, and I'm glad that Sara Marcus wrote this book, but her googlie eyed idolization of Kathleen Hanna got old really fast. Still worth reading though.