kpaone92

Kate Says: "Reading Is Fun!"

Amy Falls Down: A Novel
Jincy Willett
The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression
Eric Maisel Phd
Yes Please
Amy Poehler

Ballads of Suburbia

Ballads of Suburbia - Stephanie Kuehnert It's truly amazing that any of us survive our teen years.

I really liked Stephanie's first book:I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone, so when she came out with this one, I knew I was going to have to read it.

I'm really glad I did because she deals with a lot of young adult issues that don't really get talked about, until it's too late: drugs, addiction, overdoses, death, suicide, cutting, pregnancy, abusive/controlling relationships,rumors and backstabbing. These are the dark tales/ballads of what a lot of teenagers go through trying to figure out the complexities of themselves, as well as, the complexities of life itself.

Stephanie doesn't sugar coat and there are no happy endings, but she expertly lays out these heartbreaking stories to be looked at and examined in such a way, that brought back memories of my own tragic teenagedom and made me feel glad that I survived. I'm looking forward to writing my own personal ballad, so thanks Stephanie for the inspiration!

Also, as both books have shown, Stephanie is all about the music: Johnny Cash, PJ Harvey, Smashing Pumpkins, Social Distortion, Screeching Weasel, Rancid, Nine Inch Nails, The Ramones, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tool, Alice In Chains, Rise Against, and The Distillers all make appearances throughout the book and can also be found on her website: www.stephaniekuehnert.com, as part of the awesome 'official' sound track for this well done book that every young adult should read.