kpaone92

Kate Says: "Reading Is Fun!"

Amy Falls Down: A Novel
Jincy Willett
The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression
Eric Maisel Phd
Yes Please
Amy Poehler

How to Be Richer, Smarter, and Better-Looking Than Your Parents

How to Be Richer, Smarter, and Better-Looking Than Your Parents - Zac Bissonnette 3.5 stars

I really wish that this book was available when I graduated from college. I think I suffered a lot of financial mishaps from the time I graduated until now, that could of been avoided completely, had I been more knowledgable.

The best thing I ever did for myself financially, was listen to my economics teacher in high school, and opened up a Roth IRA when I was 16 with my very first paycheck. Ever since then I've been putting a bit of my savings in this account every year. This and contributing to my 401k at work have helped me inch closer to a healthy retirement fund.

However, I have also been trying to get out from under my credit card debt this past year. For a while, I had rely on my credit card for living expenses; before I became established (so to speak), but now that I'm making a decent paycheck, I feel happier that I'm making progress to get out from under 'the heaping mound of debt' once and for all. Once this is done, I'm only going to own one credit card and plan on not using it very much, if at all.

Oh, and then there's the mishap that still sticks to me, like a thorn in my side. My first roomate I had when I moved to Chicago, was a friend from college who wasn't financially responsible at all. Only I didn't know this until I had to disconnect our home phone line because we were being swamped with messages from debt collectors calling all hours of the day and night. Then, on top of that, she just upped and went back home unannounced, leaving me with 6 months of unpaid rent. So, I emailed her and told her how upset I was about the situation, and she ignored me completely. It wasn't until I had to contact my parents and have our family lawyer write her a nasty gram about how I'd take her to court if she didn't pay the landlord her of her part of the rent, so I could get my deposit back in order to move elsewhere, that I actaully heard from her again. Let's just say we aren't friends anymore. However, this whole scenario could of been avoided if I knew how important it was to run a credit check, before we signed a lease together.

This year, my youngest cousin graduated from high school, so I bought him a copy of this book and told him that it's a very good, down to earth read that will help him navigate through a lot of financial things, that if left unknown, could cause a lot of unnecessary stress later on in his life. My only hope is that he will read it, absorb it, and be better financially then I was at his age.