kpaone92

Kate Says: "Reading Is Fun!"

Amy Falls Down: A Novel
Jincy Willett
The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression
Eric Maisel Phd
Yes Please
Amy Poehler

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky Be a filter, not a sponge

I have a feeling I would of liked this book tons more, if I had read it when I was in High School. I'm really glad I read The Catcher in the Rye when I was going through these tough high school times and I'm glad I have never re-read it because my "adult" self probably would dislike Holden, just as much as I found Charlie to be a very naïve, whiny cry-baby.

I understand that high school is brutal and it's hard to figure out what's going on and this was very well done within the letter format of this book. I get that Charlie is on an "epic" adventure of self discovery and I really liked his unique, descriptive ways. I liked that Bill, his English teacher, took him under his wing and gave him a bunch of great books to read and learn from. I liked all the movie and music references as well, especially The Smith's song Asleep. However, there were other times, like with his "relationship" with Sam that just annoyed the hell out of me.

And don't even get me started about the end. I was glad when it was over and that it was a short book, but it didn't really reach the conclusion I was looking for, even though Charlie did grow up and come out of his shell more that year, I was surprised where he ended up in the Epilogue. I mean I knew something was wrong with the boy, but really?