kpaone92

Kate Says: "Reading Is Fun!"

Amy Falls Down: A Novel
Jincy Willett
The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression
Eric Maisel Phd
Yes Please
Amy Poehler

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: A Novel

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer What a wonderful novel to start the year off with!

I liked that this book was all in hand written letter form - something that is relatively unheard of in today's technological world - which brought all the characters together in unlikely ways once they finally met up in person. It also brought a quaint charm to the story as well, and reminded me that it's okay to live at a slower more thoughtful pace in today's super fast paced society. My goal for 2013 is to slow down and stop to smell the roses more.

My favorite character's were Elizabeth, Isola, and Juliette - in that order. Elizabeth was my favorite because even though she's not alive, her personality and sense of duty come through very clearly through other's stories, as they explain the impact Elizabeth's actions had on their lives.

Isola is my second favorite because she's just very much her own person. She has a parrot named Zenobia, rides a motorcycle with side cart, and spies on others Miss Marple style. Even though she gets it all wrong, she still brings people together with her wicked sense of humor.

Then there is Juliette. She is the narrator of this story and it's through her letters to others - particularly Sidney and Sophie - that the reader learns the history of Guernsey during The Occupation and how The Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was accidentally formed, but saved lives and gave others hope and courage through literature. Also, some predictable but awesome events happen to her while in Guernsey writing Elizabeth's story, but I'm trying not to spoil too much here so I'm not going to mention what they are.

All in all, an excellent read that shows how wonderful people can be to one another, even in a war torn society.