kpaone92

Kate Says: "Reading Is Fun!"

Amy Falls Down: A Novel
Jincy Willett
The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression
Eric Maisel Phd
Yes Please
Amy Poehler

The Mysteries Of Pittsburgh

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh - Michael Chabon This is Michael Chabon's first novel and I really enjoyed it. It's about the summer after Art Bechstein finishes college and before he figures out the rest of his life. It's a topsy turvey kind of summer where a lot of things don't make sense right off the bat, but by the end, they become glaringly obvious.

I really liked the unique descriptions of the people, the places in and around Pittsburgh, and the situations all the characters find themselves in. I think the format of the book, interlocking essays, gave it a smart feel that was easy to read. I really liked Art Bechstein as he reminds me of an older, more worldly Holden Caulfield. I really like his narration style and this quote at the end was a great way to wrap the story up in a meaningful, non contrite kind of way: "When I remember that dizzy summer, that dull, stupid, lovely, dire summer, it seems that in those days I ate my lunches, smelled another's skin, noticed a shade of yellow, even simply sat, with greater lust and hopefulness--and that I lusted with greater faith, hoped with greater abandon. The people I loved were celebrities, surrounded by rumor and fanfare; the places I sat with them, movie lots and monuments. No doubt all of this is not true remembrance but the ruinous work of nostalgia, which obliterates the past, no doubt, as usual, I have exaggerated everything."

Also, the insights at the end regarding the author himself and how this book was written, was interesting and well done. This is the second book I have read by Michael Chabon and I have to admit that I really like his way with words, and look forward to reading more by him in the future.