kpaone92

Kate Says: "Reading Is Fun!"

Amy Falls Down: A Novel
Jincy Willett
The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression
Eric Maisel Phd
Yes Please
Amy Poehler

Shirley Jackson: Novels and Stories (The Lottery / The Haunting of Hill House / We Have Always Lived in the Castle)

Novels and Stories - Shirley Jackson, Joyce Carol Oates This is a wonderful collection, who's stories were selected by one of my favorite authors, Joyce Carol Oates.

I had read a few of Shirley Jackson's stories in high school and remembered really enjoying them, so when I saw this collection, I knew it had to be mine.

I had read The Lottery of course and Charles in high school, however there were the two novels and sketches I hadn't read yet and throughly enjoyed just as much, if not more. If I was to rank the content by most enjoyable to least enjoyable I would have to say my selection would be something like this:

1. The Lottery
2. We Have Always Lived in the Castle
3. The Haunting of Hill House
4. Other Stories and Sketches

Shirley Jackson is a master of psychological horror and suspense as well as mystery and intrigue. I got sucked into her world and liked every minute of it. It's no wonder she's influenced many modern day horror writers and Gothic novelists like Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Joyce Carol Oates.

This is a must read for this time of year as we approach Halloween and I'm looking forward to reading Shirley Jackson's other novels and writings that weren't published in this lovely anthology.